2009 was an incredible year for songs. No doubt about it. Even some of the last minute yearly additions were able to sweep the early year competitors off of their feet. In 2009 there was a surprise around every corner with the quality of songs written. I’m not sure there could have been a better ending to the decade. Check out our Top 20 Songs below!
1. Matt Pond PA- “Starting”
2. Wooden Birds- “False Alarm”
3. Grizzly Bear- “Two Weeks”
4. The Drums-“Let’s Go Surfing”
5. The Spinto Band- “Jackhammer”
6. Sloan-“Take it Upon Yourself”
7. Vampire Weekend-“Cousins”
8. Ryan Adams-“Go Ahead and Rain”
9. Julian Casablancas- “11th Dimension”
10. Yeah Yeah Yeahs-“Zero”
11. James Husband- “A Grave in the Gravel”
12. Alvin Band- “Temple Pressure”
13. Darwin Deez- “Constellations”
14. Surfer Blood- “Swim”
15. Bishop Allen- “Dimmer”
16. Jupiter One- “Flaming Arrow”
17. Phoenix- “1901”
18. Pains of Being Pure at Heart- “Young Adult Friction”
19. Japandroids- “The Boys Are Leaving Town”
20. Julian Plenti- “Games for Days”
There is an over abundance of great music videos that have hit the web recently, and we feel it’s our duty to share them with you. Here are our favorite videos of the week. Yes they seem to vary in sound but hell, we would have it no other way. Let’s mix it up on this Friday afternoon.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs ‘Heads Will Roll’ The second video off of the new album is particulary brilliant. Would you expect any less frorm them?
Bat For Lashes ‘Pearl’s Dream’
Patrick Wolf ‘Hard Times’
Peter Bjorn & John ‘It Don’t Move Me’
Metric ‘Sick Muse’
REPRISE: GRIZZLY BEAR ‘TWO WEEKS’ C’mon, we just HAD to!
We’re not sure if there is any other way to say it, but Happy Grizzly Bear Day! Really, has anyone talked about anything else all day besides the release of ‘Veckatimest’? We haven’t been able to have a conversation all day without someone mentioning it.
‘Veckatimest’ is an album that is rich with one impressive song after another. It gets better with every listen and truly takes you on a musical journey. This is by far Grizzly Bear’s best album yet, and is definitely the year’s most anticipated indie record. Not to call early shots just yet, but this is sure to be headed to many ‘Top Albums Lists of 2009’.